- 1 Vicolo Corn Meal Pizza Crust
- 1 Field Roast Italian or Smoked Apple Sausage
- 3/4 cup Tomato Sauce
- 6 Marinated Artichoke Quarters/Halves
- 1-2 Collards
- Cashew Ricotta (recipe from I Am Grateful, add 1/2 teaspoon of dried basil).
- Preheat oven to 425° F.
- Crumble sausage into small pieces.
- Clean and cut collards into half inch strips. Then steam for 1 minute. Lightly steaming veggies will help prevent them from drying out.
- Drain the artichokes in a small strainer.
- No need to oil baking pan.
- Bake the pizza crust for 3-5 mins. (Optional. We prefer a crispier crust.)
- Remove pizza crust from oven and apply layers in this order: cover the bottom with 1/2 cup tomato sauce, sprinkle sausage into the sauce (this help keep the sausage moist and juicy), add collards, place artichokes equidistant (approx. one for each slice) and finally spoon the remaining sauce onto the top.
- Bake for another 10 mins.
- Remove pizza again. Add about 15 small spoonfuls of cashew ricotta on top and return to oven for another 5 mins.
Notes: Nearly any combination of toppings will work, of course, but the key to this recipe is the tomato sauce and the sausage that provides the experience that most meat-eaters are familiar with. The Cashew Ricotta will brown (almost like cheese) if added earlier in step 7. A generic ketchup bottle for applying the cheese is super handy. I usually end up using the remaining ricotta on everything from veggies to soups throughout the week.